Monday, May 23, 2011

a spring of strange and new things

This is the coldest, wettest spring we have had in a long time. I have not yet eaten breakfast outdoors on the deck, and my summer clothing is all still in the attic. It has been rainy and chilly and drab almost every day.

This spring, we are getting ready for Fiona's graduation from high school and her move to college at the end of the summer. She'll go to New Jersey to study musical theatre at Montclair State University. It's wonderful and strange and hard to understand, all at the same time.

As Fiona leaves, our nephew Lukas will be coming to live with us while he attends university near our home, so we'll still have a full house. It's funny, these two cousins were born on the same day. One is leaving and one is arriving. Feels like a fair arrangement to me, but strange.

I don't feel like I'm any different from who I was this time last year, but I know that I am changing in response to all of these changes. Our life will change significantly very soon. It's all for the good, but it's a bit unnerving, because I don't really know what it will look like, feel like, or who I'll be when the dust settles. Still me, for sure, but me with a new emphasis and focus.

I'm grateful that Alex and Andy aren't going through transitions, although they too are adjusting to the change that our family is experiencing. So I guess, in a way, they are too.

My feelings aren't cold and gloomy like the weather, but they are unpredictable and somewhat unseasonable. I'm looking forward to warm days outdoors, the end of the recitals/awards/prom season and the more relaxed pace of summer. It will be a different summer from the ones before it, but a good one, I am sure.

question: what is changing for you?

mompoet - to everything there is a season

No comments: