Monday, December 22, 2008

The Shack

I just finished reading The Shack last night. My friend Laurie gave it to me for my birthday. She didn't say much about it - just that she knew I would love it, and I do.

It's a novel about a man who has lost a lot of himself through childhood abuse and adult tragedy. In the midst of a long, sleepwalking sadness of a life, he receives a note in his mailbox from God, inviting him to spend a weekend at a place of terrible horror - the shack where his daughter was killed.

It's a splendid story about a man's conversation with God and his discovery of his own life and its meaning. I read it in small sips, and thought about each one, each one satisfying on its own, encouraging and affirming as part of a bigger picture. This is a story about transformation, redemption and love to an infinite and barely understandable breadth and level.

I recommend it.

question: what are you reading today?

mompoet - snowy days are good for looking inward and reaching outward

No comments: