Sunday, April 11, 2010

Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat

Fiona is in Royal City Musical Theatre's Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat. We saw a preview on Friday, and were bowled over by what a tight, engaging production it is. We've seen various versions of it over the years, starting when I designed costumes for a junior high school production when I was just 14 years old. Fiona was in the kids' chorus when she was little, and we've seen other community theatre groups do it. RCMT's show is the brightest and best version I've seen. The musical direction and choreography are done with just the right touch, which is good, because the whole story is told in song and dance. The music and lyrics are tremendously corny, but it's yummy corn, beautiful, quick-paced, funny and delightful. Vancouver Sun's Peter Birnie likes it too.

It's on at the Massey Theatre in New Westminster until April 24. You should go see it. I'll go twice more, which is also good. First time, I pretty much tracked Fiona around the stage. Next time I'll pan out and watch the whole thing with both eyes.

question: have you seen Joseph? multiple times?

mompoet - any dream will do

No comments: