Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Bat Boy the Musical

When Fiona told me that Patrick Street Productions was putting on Bat Boy the Musical, I thought that it was a singing play about baseball. Eventually, I found out that it's actually based on a tabloid news story about a creature who is half boy and half bat, who is adopted by a family in the southern US.

I am so glad it was not about baseball. Fiona and I went to the Norman Rothstein Theatre and saw it last night, and loved it. It's full of grim humour, social satire, bestial romance, blood, and mistaken identity and amazing revelations about the nature of humanity. Several times I wasn't sure if I should laugh or cry, so I did a little of both. Mostly I laughed.

If you get a chance to see it, don't miss that chance. It's on until Saturday only. Here's a review for encouragement.

question: what would you do if you met a half bat/half boy?

mompoet - making a joyful noise

No comments: