Monday, April 09, 2007

scambaiting?

I have received many scam emails, you know the ones from people in other countries, appealing for my help with orphans, inheritances, stock certificates, deposed princes etc. I just delete them.

I didn't know that there are people who make it a vocation to bait the scammers. I heard about this on CBC radio over the weekend, and checked out a site that they mentioned: 419eater.com

The whole thing strikes me as kind of creepy, but interesting. There are even sound files of scambaiters talking to scammers on the phone, and photographs of scammers making themselves look ridiculous just to provide the scambaiters with trophies. I'm not signing up for this hobby.

question: what do you think about this?

mompoet - better things to do with my spare time

1 comment:

J. Andrew Lockhart said...

I get the same e-mails! Maybe we should figure out one of our own and send it around --- maybe we would make some money/ :)