Sunday, January 23, 2005

happy anniversary solly-dog

Today is the 2 year anniversary of our family bringing home our dog, Soleil. It feels like she's been a member of our family forever. We had a party for her last year, invited some dog friends, got a liver cake from the dog bakery, sang "Happy anniversary," but I told the kids that was one time only. This year we're just remembering, and feeling that she is really, finally our dog in her own mind. Even last year, after a whole year with us, she acted unsure about her status here. She worried a lot and frequently checked to make sure we were here and she was part of things. It's taken a long time and lots of telling her, "Yes, we are going to keep you. Yes, we love you no matter what," for her to just relax and be one of us all the time. I think we have all learned from this. The kids get outside of themselves more when they are caring for her. She brings out the big daddy again in my husband, now that the kids don't need to be picked up or wrestled or chased around the house. She makes him play. And she makes me stop and notice "not sure." I'm fairly immune to ambivalence. I just keep on chugging ahead, and you're with me or you're not, and that's all okay. But with Solly, she'll follow even if she's really scared, so I have begun to learn to really look and listen to figure out if she's really okay. And if she's not, to try to figure out what's the problem, how to understand it, what to do. I don't think I'll ever be really good at it, but she has helped me with this.

Happy anniversary Sol. Thanks for coming to live with us. We're keeping you (just in case you were still wondering).

Question: How does your garden grow?

mompoet - listening

No comments: