Friday, December 30, 2011

our new year's eve plans

Andy and I are hosting this year. I think my email message to our friends just about sums up our plans, and puts it all in perspective:

So tomorrow is New Year's Eve. We will be ready any time from 8pm on. My niece says that this is a sign that we are OLD. People in her generation, she tells me, would never think of showing up at a New Year's Eve party at 8pm. I tell her that gives us 5 or 6 hours to party because we'll all be up past midnight after all. I say this with special emphasis because we are up past midnight probably only 2 or 3 times per year these days. She just rolls her eyes when I say this.

When I tell my niece that we won't play beer pong this year, she is amused. "You played beer pong?" YUP! I say, but it's a year later and now we are OLD. So we are having a silly gift exchange instead. "Okay," she says, "I hope you get a nice gift." Then she kind of smirks.

So let's have a smirk-busting New Year's Eve. Andy and I will be ready for you as soon as the seniors' supper special is over at Denny's. We'll print up some songsheets for World War II song favourites, and we've hired an accordion player. We'll record New Year's in Australia and play it at about 9:30pm so we can all be home and in bed by 10. After all, we are OLD.

Seriously, 8pm onwards, bring a nibbly food to share, bring a wrapped gift or two - could be something good or something terrible or just something funny. Women, wear a nice dress or otherwise cocktail attire. You can keep your shoes on in our house if you like. Men, shirt YES, tie OPTIONAL, pants REQUIRED.

See you at the end of 2011.

sue

question: how OLD are you? and what are you doing for New Year's Eve?

mompoet - OLD enough to laugh at myself

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ok ... We may just about be the "perfect" guest for this shindig! I play a mean accordion ... Haven't actually played since about '75, but could still manage a 1/4 decent polka. I can belt out The White Cliffs of Dover ... Not as good as Vera, but if you all promise to drink copious amounts of Baby Duck I'll probably sound quite fine. I ordered from the senior's menu at IHOP yesterday ... Oh I own a black cocktail dress & Terry has pants ... Oh, oh I also have gifts that your niece will find cool! We both look forward to spending the last few hours of 2011 with smirk busting friends.

Franci Louann said...

Feliz Ano Nuevo from La Plata, Argentina!

Where we are 'older than you'.

All best wishes.

Rowan Lipkovits said...

we've hired an accordion player

Hey! A little Gogol Bordello will liven up any party!