Tuesday, February 22, 2011

total irritated

Verbal trends and fads are irritating to me. I like to think of myself as a friendly and loving person who will tune in to the intention rather than the delivery, but sometimes, I get bugged by a particular way people are saying things, especially when lots of people are saying something wrong, all the same way. I don't speak perfectly correctly every time I open my mouth, but there are some things that people say that I just don't like. Maybe my brain is tuned in to these more than other people's brains. I don't know the reason. I just know that it irritates me.

Specifically, right now, it's the elimination of "ly" from adjectives. It's a trend that has been rolling along for about a year. Here's an example I heard on the radio yesterday:

"I was absolute astonished when..." (did you mean absolutely?)

Or what about this ad for toothpaste for sensitive teeth?:

"It worked instant!" (that's good, did it also work instantly?)

Are people allergic to saying "ly?" Is it some kind of shorthand that nobody told me about? Why do we do this to our perfectly good language? It's messed up enough already. I am totally LY LY LY irritated by this fad. So here's what I have to say. Does it sound okay to you?

I woke up this morning, particular__ ear__ and thought to myself, "It's time to go for my year__ appointment at the eye doctor. I walked to the bus stop and the bus arrived prompt__. I was so complete__ grateful because I get embarrassed when I am late for appointments. My Mom always told me it is total__ rude and ungracious to keep people waiting. Even so, I don't think my ophthalmologist would be too upset. He's a totally gnar__ dude who understands people like me, who sometimes have an alternative relationship with time. But still, I thought, "It would be sil__ to keep the eye doctor waiting. Let's get this appointment taken care of, then I'll go for lunch." After my eye check I went to the vegetarian restaurant, where I had a great tofu and bar___ soup which was fair__ delicious and wonderful__ garnished. That's one of the great things about living in Vancouver. Even if people follow goofy verbal trends you know you can get a consistent__ good eye examination and a reliab__ delicious tofu and barley soup. The tofu must have had a good effect on me. I calmed down after that and thought, "This is not a tragedy, just a bit of lazy unoriginal mis-speaking. People are good, even if they talk stupid. I can be friend__ and neighbour__ and stop being irritated by something that is real__ not important.

question: have you noticed this? or am I the only one whose ears are saying "OOOOWWWCH!"

mompoet - cashing in my annual allowance of grow__ harumphing

ps - I know I cheated on the barley, I'm just sayin'....

4 comments:

Pearl said...

seriously? wow, hope that's a west coast virus that stays out there.

although I was tempted to answer (for serious?) but I'm pretty sure I'm immune to ly drop.

DianeSS said...

You are definitely not the only one frustratedly noticing this trend!

Cathy said...

Sue,I just finished reading "The Best Laid Plans" and I enjoyed the characters love of grammar and I thought of you!

Cathy

Unknown said...

I get irrated as well Sue and I think Cal just chuckles at me when I point out bad grammar!