Wednesday, December 14, 2005

random christ-missery

I have to find some Christmas pants. Nobody got around to emailing at the office about the potluck lunch tomorrow, only we all know, but somehow it's important to email. So a couple of days ago I emailed everyone and said I'll be in the conference room at noon on Thursday with a big bowl of dip. Who will bring the carrots? Who will bring the chips? Who will sing a song? Who will wear a Christmas sweater? Somehow the volley of email replies ended up with everyone assuming I would wear Christmas pants. Everyone is asking me about them now, like they are really excited or something. Trouble is, I don't even know what Christmas pants are. I will have to make something up. Your ideas are always welcome, even after lunchtime.

Tonight I worked until 9 and ate microwave popcorn and chocolate santas for supper at my desk. I'm almost ready to go on vacation after Thursday. Why do we always have to pay before we go?

I found my Christmas earrings that Kathy's daughter Amber made for me a couple of years ago. They came with a purse, which is a story in itself. The purse was a white vinyl jobbie that I loved, but Kathy and Michele thought was very bad so of course I made a point of carrying it when we went places together. Then I forgot about it for a while, but when we had a big staff meeting I helped organize a prize draw and rigged it so Kathy won a surprise gift, which was the awful purse and she had to accept it in front of about 100 people and be nice about it. Anyway, my birthday came around and I got the purse back, filled with potting soil and a poinsettia growing inside of it, and these Christmas earrings which I still have, and wear. But I don't have the purse anymore. or the poinsettia.

The dog now has a jingle bell collar with red velvet and white fluff, which Andy bought for her. The kids love it, but they are too embarassed to take her for a walk with her bells on. Maybe I could incorporate it into my Christmas pants for tomorrow. The collar I mean, not the dog. Which reminds me of the Charlie Chaplin movie where he stuffs a stray dog down the back of his pants and the tail sticks out and wags.

I still have to make dip.

I still don't know what we're doing for New Year's Eve.

The puzzle is coming along. I am really getting into practice for wasting time. It's slow going but slowing down is good.

Tomorrow night I have volunteered to chaperone at the high school Christmas dance. Alex isn't going, but that makes me a better volunteer. Kids don't want their own parents there so much. I've done it before. You mostly sit at a table that blocks off an out-of-bounds area and make sure the kids don't sneak into other parts of the school. It's very loud and the kids are having a good time. Parent chaperones are there instead of security guards, but the principal and vice principals and janitors are all on duty. The lockers are roped shut so no kid can plant drugs or alcohol in a locker earlier in the day. Mostly they're down at the gym dancing and having a good time. Sometimes they mosey up to the table and chat but they don't try to make a run past us guards into the dark depths of the school. I will bring a magazine to pass my 90 minute shift, and probably chat with another parent volunteer. It's fun to see all the girls dressed up and the boys looking just the same as they do at 7:45 in the morning on a Wednesday.

Friday night the carol ships will come up Moody arm and we can look out our window and see them. If we go to the park and listen carefully we can sometimes hear singing coming all the way up the hill to us. Lots of neighbours show up at the park and the little kids play on the swings and slide in the dark and we ooh and ahh as the ships come up the arm.

Well, I have to go to sleep now so I can get up early and go back to the office and finish rushing around so I can take time off. And I still have to find some Christmas pants.

question: what kind of dip should I make?

mompoet - fa la la la la

No comments: