Sunday, July 10, 2005

Enjoying Music without Words

I am listening to Rossini's Barber of Seville. This is my mom's recommendation for my first experience with opera. Dad recommends Don Giovanni. I'll listen to that next.

I always though I didn't like opera - hoity toity, overblown, way too long. But this is fantastic! The intensity and drama are wonderful. It's way over the top and I love that! This is GREAT BIG MUSIC!!! It helps that a lot of the themes from this opera are part of everyday life in advertising, movie soundtracks, cartoons, cell phone ringtones (not mine - I detest musical ringtones, but that's another post) so my ears are hearing familiar music in with the new. I am listening to it for the first time and practically jumping out of my seat with joy and amazement.

I don't care if I don't understand the words. It's wonderful.

I got it from the library. They have a huge selection of opera. I can have fun with this. Now I definitely want to go to the opera. And I want to listen to lots more.

question: how did I take so long to find this?

mompoet - my car is leaking Figaro

No comments: